Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Servant Cannot Serve Two Masters

Jesus tells us that "No one can serve two masters; for a servant will either hate the one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other." He ends with stating that one cannot serve God and wealth, but much has been explored on that topic and it is not what catches my attention today.
Today I am interested in the question of trying to serve two masters. Or two priorities that each want all of my attention. Especially in an age when multitasking is such a marketable skill.
I'm beginning to notice that what happens when I try to serve competing priorities is that I manage to serve neither adequately. I don't necessarily hate one and love the other, but instead, each thinks I am giving the other priority my better effort. No one is happy and I am all the more frustrated that no one appreciates the effort I am making.

No comments:

Post a Comment